Tag Archive for: Camp 2

Today our climbing team patiently continued to hold at Camp 2 on Everest as our weather window approaches. After analyzing the weather forecasts from our friend Michael Fagin, it is looking very positive for a summit date between May 18-19 on Everest. We will soon make the ascent to Camp 3 and put ourselves in position for this summit window. The team is doing very well and we have been sending food and supplies up the mountain from base camp. Ankur continues to win at Scrabble from what I’ve heard. In the afternoon the team has been going on short hikes to stay active.

Here at base camp the weather has been beautiful and sunny throughout the day. The Sherpa team and I have been enjoying the TV series Game of Thrones in the evenings and are caught up on Season 6. We are all very excited as our climbers will soon continue up the mountain.

.

Shout-out to the icefall doctor’s shown here passing our climbers. This skilled Sherpa team have been fixing the ropes and ladders all season long, keeping our climbers safe.

Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 9.09.33 PM

Today our team spent another day at Camp 2 on Everest waiting for the high winds to settle closer to the summit. Garrett Madison and team are patiently waiting for the weather window to allow a safe ascent for all members. Currently we are focused in on the 18 or 19th as a possible summit window. Which would mean that our team would be moving up the mountain in the next couple days. If the winds do not settle our team will come back down to base camp and we will wait for the next weather window to arrive. We are working very hard to put our team in the best position possible for a successful summit and have our fingers crossed that that day will soon arrive.

.

Photo of our VR capture team out exploring and shooting some 360 footage

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 10.22.18 PM

Today our climbing team rested at camp 2 and will prepare for the upcoming ascent to Camp 3 in the days to come. The weather forecast is calling for increased winds higher on the mountain and our team is planning to hold at Camp 2 and wait for the conditions to settle. Currently we are expecting a summit date between May 17-20 based on current forecasts. The team is in good health and spirits and will enjoy the spectacular views around them. We sent up today a Scrabble game and a few card games to keep the team occupied as they wait for the weather to settle on the summit.

.

Beautiful photo taken on the team’s climb to Camp 2!

Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 12.04.12 PM

Today our climbing team enjoyed a rest day at Camp 2 on Everest and celebrated the great news that our collaborative Sherpa team successfully reached the summit of Everest today at 5:10pm our time. Lakpa Chiring Sherpa from Pangboche represented Madison Mountaineering and stood on top of the world earlier today. This was a group effort among a few other lead teams here this season and marks the first summit of the year from the south side. We are very happy that the ropes and fixed lines have been set and now our climbing team is awaiting the weather window to push for the summit. Right now the weather forecasts are calling for increased winds which could possibly push our anticipated summit date back a few days. Early tomorrow morning our Sherpa team will bring food and supplies up to Camp 2 as we wait for the weather to clear.

.

Climbing Sherpa Team

Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 5.43.05 PM

After a alpine start this morning our climbing team safely arrived in Camp 2 this afternoon. Waking up at 11:30pm our team had a quick breakfast before taking off into the icefall. The weather conditions were clear through the night with snow rolling in throughout the morning. Garrett reports from Camp 2 that the team is tired but all in good condition after the big push. The plan is to rest tomorrow at Camp 2 then touch Camp 3 the following day. In total spending 4 nights on the mountain for this second rotation before coming back down to base camp.

Brent and Kent are acclimatizing here at base camp and will go on a hike toward Pumori tomorrow morning. They plan to climb to Camp 1 the following day. The summit window for Everest will be arriving shortly, stay tuned as we journey to the top of the world!

.

IMG_2941

Today our team is enjoying a restful day at Everest Base Camp and will be departing on their second rotation toward Camp 2 early this morning. Yesterday Lisa, Ankur, and Conan went on a afternoon hike with beautiful views looking over the Everest region. Ankur had a special delivery DHL package delivered to basecamp a couple weeks ago with a Scrabble game. Little did we know Ankur is a extraordinary scrabble player and the rest of the team will continue to win a game. The weather has been great with clear skies in the day and colder nights once the sun goes down. We are all looking forward to our next rotation and believe that the summit day is within two weeks from today!

.

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 7.42.20 AM

.

Larger than a American Chuckar, very domesticated and looking for handouts!

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 7.42.34 AM

.

Spectacular views with Everest in the background 

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 7.42.50 AM

.

Lisa practicing her yoga moves at 18,500ft

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 7.41.51 AM

.

Lisa and Ankur on a relaxing day hike with Conan

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 7.42.04 AM

Spending a second night at Camp 2, our climbers acclimatize and continue to move higher up the mountain. Over the past two days our team has enjoyed the comfort of our advanced base camp with hot meals and beautiful views. From base camp we watched many helicopters make rounds to Camp 1 yesterday, carrying loads dangling beneath filled with fixed ropes for higher on Everest. In years past Sherpa had carried the fixed ropes through the Khumbu Icefall. Tomorrow if the weather allows our team will descend the mountain and arrive back at Base Camp. Strong winds have been ripping across base camp at night which makes for a exciting night in the tent.

Once back at base camp our team will rest for 4-5 days before making their second rotation toward Camp 3 at 7,200, (23,635ft).

IMG_5139

.

IMG_5144

.

IMG_5148

.

IMG_5149

.

IMG_5151

.

IMG_5157

Garrett reports to base camp that the team has successfully reached Camp 2 at 6,400m (21,000ft). Currently it’s snowing and very cold with high winds. Our Camp 2 is our advanced base camp with a large dining tent with food and supplies to support the expedition further up Mt. Everest in the weeks to come. Our team is healthy and doing well, they are now in their down suits staying warm as the temperature continues to drop into the evening. The plan is to stay here for 3 nights to acclimate and go on day hikes if the weather allows. Will upload pictures as soon as I am able!

Team members and tentmates Audrey and Linda call into to report the team is in good health for summit, setting several personal altitude records, and have completed the carry to the high camp, Camp 3 (5989m / 19,650ft). They were also able to sneak in several product placements in their dispatch! 🙂 After a nice dinner and night at Camp 2, the plan is to complete the move to Camp 3 tomorrow and plan to make the summit attempt on Friday, January 22. The team members miss their family members and send their love. To higher places!!

.

Bernd on the way to Camp 3:

Bernd on the way to Camp 3

Today Peter, from the Aconcagua climbing team, provides a audio dispatch from Camp 2 as the team rests at an elevation of (5492m/18,020ft) and outlines their summit day plan. We also get a nice introduction to all of the other team members. Weather is continuing to be great, the team is feeling good and looking forward to the summit attempt in a few days.

Check out team member Ginna Kelly’s awesome cause – http://climbforconservation.org/

The audio dispatch is in two parts:

1)

2)

.

Walt and Ginna relaxing at camp (Photo by: Bernd):

Walt and Ginna (photo by Bernd)

Walt and Ginna relaxing in base camp