Hello, this is Garrett calling in for the Madison Mountaineering K2 and Broad Peak expedition team. Today is July 18th and we’ve add a restful few days in base camp with some great weather the last few days.
Our sherpa team has finished carrying all of the equipment, oxygen, ropes, tents up to Camp 4 and fixing lines to Camp 4 on K2 and they’re all back in base camp now. So, we’re resting here in base camp and there is a storm perdicted to develop starting tomorrow. Big snowfall starting tomorrow over the next few days and then some very high winds up to 100km per hour near the summit.
So, our plan is to hunker down here in base camp for a few days, let the storm pass, and then, hopefully, we’ll have some good weather the last week of July starting the 24th or 25th and we can plan for our summit attempt.
We’ve been following the teams making their summit attempts on Broad Peak today and fingers crossed for them. Wishing them the best of luck and a safe descent. We’ll wait to see how that all plays out for them. But all’s good here in K2 base camp and we look forward to checking in soon.
If climbing K2 or Broad Peak is in your future, please contact our office, we would love to have you climb with us!
In addition to these expedition dispatches, you can also follow our teams as they make their attempts on the world’s most formidable mountains on:
- Enable the skill and add to your flash briefing to hear Garrett Madison’s daily audio expedition updates on select expeditions. Just say, “Alexa, play my Madison Mountaineering flash briefing.“
– our Garmin inReach Mini powered real-time tracking map: